Thursday, September 26, 2013

The "let's meet up some day" Syndrome. (LMUSD Syndrome)

It has happened to all of us at one point or another, you see someone you haven't seen in a while and you utter the words "Let's meet up some day!", in that very moment you probably have the best intentions in the World to actually meet up with that person in the near future, heck, you're probably excited to see them and want to catch up, but what usually ends up happening is that the meeting will never happen.

So why am I bringing that up? Almost a year ago, four of my students stopped by my office as the semester was ending, we chatted for a while and realized we all play music. One of the students suggested we find some time to all jam together, to which we all agreed. I haven't played with a group of people in quite some time (and I really miss the feeling of it), so the idea of jamming with some students was actually a very cool idea to me. I've even been trying to convince other fellow faculty to join in some jam sessions. So what is the issue? That darn LMUSD Syndrome, the never-ending "let's jam some day"!

That was a long time ago, and no jamming has been done, and probably won't happen any time soon. I'm OK with that, though I'm pretty sure one of those students (which I have kindly nicknamed my personal stalker) will read this sooner than later. So to him I'd like to say "what the hell?! when are we jamming?!". To the rest of you, I'd like to give you an easy cure to LMUSD...

We live in a world where most people walk around with a personal computer in their pockets: their smartphone. In those devices, there are calendars, which are backed up "in the cloud" almost instantly. So next time someone suggest "LMUSD!" don't answer with "yeah! sounds great!". Pull your phone out and make them pick a date, agree on a day and time, and put it on both calendars, you'll be able to step away from there KNOWING that you will meet them again. And once that is done, STICK to your schedule, go see that person and reconnect, because personal connections are much more meaningful that empty words.

No comments:

Post a Comment