Tuesday, September 8, 2009

You don't know you've been missing something until you try it...

Today I would like to write something on a VERY positive note, so don't expect any usual grumbling from an old man. I would like to talk about those things that you don't know are great until you try them and then realize that you've been missing out for a long time. The same as the first time you get laid (or at least first time you enjoy it, for those of you that might have had a bad first experience), the day you learn how to surf/snowboard, or even the day you meet someone that you can simply connect with effortlessly.

In this occasion I am talking about something I did not realize still existed in the world we live today: total respect, kindness and camaraderie among total strangers. In the society we live in, we have slowly devolved into individuals that think of our needs and rarely do little things like saying hello to a stranger on the streets. Try that on the streets and you'll get a wide variety of reactions, from a smile to a look of "why the fuck are you talking to me you prick?!". Maybe people just grew old of saying hi to strangers, maybe we're tired, or maybe there is just too many people. Fortunately, there is a small group that will still do such a small token of kindness: Motorcycle riders.

So I rented a motorcycle over the week-end and went riding on nice mountain roads for about 6 hours a day, and as much as the sensation of freedom you get from riding the bike is great, what really touched me, and made me want to write this long bla bla bla is the feeling of camaraderie you get among riders. I was told during my license classes how riders stand up for each other, and are generally happy kind people, but I didn't realize how far that statement goes. Every rider I saw while riding waved hi to me, and I quickly joined the ranks of those doing it. It is something as simple as extending your arm, or making some room on a lane for a new rider (me) to switch lanes without getting run over, or just generally asking how was the ride when you stop at the same places. But every single rider I crossed paths with (and there were a lot) was all smiles, showing a happiness you don't generally see on car drivers which spend more time cursing at each other (I'm the first to do so). It's like being part of a "secret" society where everyone is friends with each other for the simple reason of being on two wheels. It is something I am glad I found, and I realize now how much I missed that feeling.

3 comments:

  1. Perteneces a otra sociedad secreta: los jinetes del dos caballos amarillo. Que lo sepas :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esa tambien mola!
    De hecho con el dosca te saluda to kiski :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuando era pequeña mi madre me dijo una vez que si veía a alguien le saludase. Olvidó especificar que sólo si veía a alguien conocido. Así que yo me dedicaba a saludar a diestro y siniestro por la calle y me deprimía mucho que la mayoría de la gente no me contestase. Algún día yo también formaré parte de esa sociedad (la de moteros, no la de 2cv amarillos) y podré quitarme el trauma.

    ReplyDelete