Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why Bother writing good songs!?

So as the one person that actually reads this stupid blog knows, I play music and I write my own songs, and I actually try to take the effort in writing different songs. But every now and then you end up realizing that what sounds good has been written over and over again. You can't have blues without the typical E-A-B progression nor rock without E-B-C-A (or any of its alterations). It's what I cordially call "the magic T" since you can play it with power-chords by simply moving your wrist and changing chords by following a pattern that looks like the letter T.

Either way, below my ranting is a really funny video that shows how many bands exploit this "shortcut" to make songs that are essentially the exact same thing with changes only in tempo, rhythm and lyrics. At least they used instruments...

My point is, if in the end the masses seem to only want to hear the same 4 chords over and over again in every song, why do people like myself bother trying to write more complex songs? Why explore new sounds? Why try to come up with meaningful lyrics when most pop songs just repeat the same 2 lines a gazillion times? Well that's because people like me are not into music for fame, fortune, chicks, drugs, booze, mtv, awards and any of that bullshit. We're in it for the love of music, we're in it to express ourselves, and just like human beings, you can't represent all your vast array of feelings with just 4 shades, there are nuances, there are different intensities, and it can all be portrayed with more evolved music. Unfortunately, most people listen and "like" what they are fed to like, but that's the problem that will always come up when corporations start trying to milk music as much as possible for profit.

So my advise to you, if you ever write music, write what your body tells you is right, not what a guy in a suit tells you will make money.

Enjoy the clip:


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post and awesome clip. Thanks for sharing it.

    I think, the formula of a good comercial song is well knowed. But, they are songs and singers of one and only one success with a very short musical life. The really greats musicians don't use the magic formulas. That's why I think you are on the right path to excelence in music skills (that sounds like a Yoda sentence) :D

    ReplyDelete